We’ve got your back!
We know that WI can find you the perfect internship abroad. But what about keeping you safe and happy when you’re overseas? These resources will help to make sure that you feel confident on-site, from your first day to your last. If you’re looking for something more specific, don’t hesitate to reach out!
Who we are:
From the very beginning, World Internships has embraced interns from all countries, backgrounds, and identities. We believe that there’s a perfect internship out there for everyone, and we’re determined to find it for you! We realize, though, that interning abroad is just half of the World Internships experience: the other half is spent diving into that cultural immersion process that can make such a difference in a person’s life. This process looks different for everyone, but we know that, above all, gaining a sense of community abroad can be the make-or-break factor that takes a program from a “good” one to a “life-changing” one.
Our ally pledge:
By helping LGBTQ+-identifying interns find that sense of community abroad, we hope to reaffirm our commitment to our beautifully diverse participants around the world. We hope that these resources — along with one-on-one advising sessions with our Program Advisor, Hannah — will help all interns feel comfortable and confident selecting a location for their ideal WI program.
As more and more of our host companies around the world work to create inclusive, collaborative spaces for people all along with gender and sexuality spectrum, we’re more motivated than ever to make sure our LGBTQ+ interns feel ready to take on the globe in their work and cultural experiences.
Here are some helpful questions to ask yourself before you start your WI program:
- How out do I want to be to my host family or roommates?
- Will I be staying with a host family or roommates who will be accepting of me if I choose to come out?
- Is it important for me to participate in LGBTQ activities and events while abroad?
- Is discussing my sexual orientation or gender identity something that is important to me?
- What are the social attitudes towards being LGBTQ in my host country?
- Are there resources for LGBTQ students in my host country or as part of my host company?
- Are there any LGBTQ groups or LGBTQ-friendly establishments in my area?
- Are sexual orientation and gender identity openly discussed and accepted, or more taboo in my host country?
- Are there safety and legal issues for LGBTQ individuals in this area?
- What is the culture of “out”ness in offices in my host country?
- How out do I want to be to my internship supervisor and coworkers?
External Resources to check out before you depart
- LGBT Education Abroad guide from University of South Florida.
- Great tips on traveling as a transgender or non-binary person from The National Center for Transgender Equality.
- Out Traveler — a fun online resource for LGBTQ+ international travelers!
- Official LGBTQ+ Travel Information from the U.S. State Department.